20 Amazing Self Care Night Routine Ideas For Relaxation

 20 Amazing Self Care Night Routine Ideas For Relaxation

Are you looking for amazing self care evening routine ideas? This post is all about the best self care night routine for relaxation.

The sun starts to set after a long day, and you find yourself mindlessly scrolling your phone on the couch. Your night time routine consists of your phone, Netflix, and *maybe* washing your face before bed.


Sound familiar?


This was my exact night time routine for a long time. I used to get anxious right before bed every night because I would think about everything going on in my life and all I needed to do the next day. I never gave my mind time to relax because I was always staring at a screen while justifying this down time as “self care”.


Developing a nighttime routine can be hard. It can actually take up to 2 months to form a new habit, which includes developing a routine. So, if you’re trying to start new routines and habits this year, give yourself some time and patience. The routine will slowly assimilate into your life and will be a great self care tool to help you unwind and relax after a long day. 

WHY DEVELOP A NIGHTLY SELF CARE ROUTINE?

The way we begin our day and the way we end our day has a huge impact on our daily mental health. Developing a good self-care night routine allows our minds to relax, and can help you fall asleep faster and get a better night’s rest. Studies have shown that routines actually help us cope with change, create healthy habits, and reduce stress.


Everyone’s self care night routine is going to look different. If you’re not the bubble bath type of gal, then don’t take one! Create an evening routine that will fit into your lifestyle and help you relax and unwind every night. I’ve listed several ideas below so you can pick and choose a self care night routine that works for you.

HOW TO ESTABLISH A SELF CARE ROUTINE FOR NIGHTTIME

If you need help forming a new night routine, download my free self care night checklist. This checklist includes a list of all my self care night ideas with blanks so you can fill in and create your own nighttime routine. It also includes a free habit tracker so you can track and stick to your new routine. Below is an example of how I’ve used the nightly checklist for my self care routine.

          Mood Setting for Nighttime

You can set the mood for a relaxing night in many different ways! It’s important to set the mood in a way that helps your relax the most. Think about times that you feel at peace and try to emulate that environment. If you feel the most relaxed when you are at the beach, try playing wave noises and turn on the fireplace or space heater. Maybe lighting affects your mood and you need soft blue light to relax. Below are some ideas to help you set the mood of your space for your ultimate relaxing night.

1. SOFT LIGHTING

Soft lighting in a room gives off sense of calm and can help you feel more at peace. Turn off all the overhead lights in your home and light a few candles or turn on a couple lamps to give your home a dimmer and more relaxing feel. This warm table lamp is dimmable and changes into 13 different colors to help you set the perfect mood for your night time routine.

2. COMFY AND COZY CLOTHES

Your physical senses also help set the mood of your night and help you relax. If you feel the most comfortable when you are snuggled up in a robe then do that! If you feel cozy in your old basketball shorts and t-shirt then do that! Find your most comfy and cozy clothes to help set the mood for your night. I love wearing my hooded robe during my self care evening routine.

3. GOOD SMELLS

Certain scents like lavender and vanilla can actually help you relax. Use candles or an essential oil diffuser to emit your favorite smells and set the mood.

4. RELAXING MUSIC OR SOUNDS

Play your favorite songs or find a relaxing playlist of soft music. Youtube has a ton of great free songs with relaxing music to play during your night routine. You can also look up “ocean wave sounds” or “rain sound” if you feel most relaxed listening to nature sounds at night.

         Nightly Self-Care Writing Ideas

I’ve started incorporating short daily writing/drawing activities into my nightly routine. They’ve helped me decompress and allow me to practice mindfulness. I encourage you to include a writing or drawing activity into your nightly self care routine too. Pick a short writing idea that you can do in 15-30 minutes every night, so you can stick with it every night and become a part of your routine easier.

1. JOURNAL PROMPTS

Journal prompts are a great way to become more self aware of your thoughts and emotions. You understand yourself better when you ask yourself questions that you don’t think about on a daily basis. I’ve created a great list of journal prompts for self-love and journal prompts for self-discovery that can help you get started journaling.

2. WRITE ABOUT YOUR DAY

Jot down a few things from your day everyday that you want to remember. Write about people you’ve met, things you had for dinner, things that made you smile, things that made you sad. I’ve kept a journal about seemingly mundane things happening in my day since I was 10-years old. It’s fun to look back and read old journal entries to see how far you’ve come in life.

3. TRY BULLET JOURNALING

Bullet journaling is a great creative outlet to help you relax at night. You can use it to organize your thoughts, track habits, or just doodle! Check out these awesome bullet journal ideas to help give you inspiration. I love this dotted bullet journal that has everything you need to get started bullet journaling.

4. KEEP A GRATITUDE JOURNAL

Keep a gratitude journal and write about a few things you are thankful for everyday. Keeping a gratitude journal is a great form of self care because it makes you happier, increase positivity, and can actually help you sleep better at night.

5. COLORING

Coloring is not just for kids! It is actually a great self care activity and can help relieve stress and anxiety. I love losing myself in a good coloring book, and one of my favorites is this Mandala coloring book for adults.

               Beauty nighttime routine

Everyone’s heard of the saying “look good, feel good”, but did you know there’s actually science behind that statement? Self-care routines that are focused on things like skin care, sleep habits, and beauty can help people feel happier and healthier. Take a little time each night to focus on doing something for your body and skin that makes you feel good. I have a skin care night routine that I do every night to help my skin feel smoother which helps me feel healthier and happier overall.


I like to keep my skincare night routine really simple so I can keep up with it everyday. When choosing products to put on your face remember less is more! Create a nightly beauty routine that is easy for you, so you are more likely to stick with it in the long run.

1. REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP

All you ladies should be removing your makeup BEFORE washing your face. Makeup residue can stick your face even after using a face wash, which is why it is important to use a good makeup remover like Micellar Cleansing Water. I used makeup wipes for many years, but after using this cleansing water, I’m never going back to wipes.

2. WASH YOUR FACE

Get all the makeup and toxins off your face from your long day. Let your pores breathe, so your skin will feel brighter and smoother in the morning! I use this oil free acne wash by Neutrogena every morning and night. If you are looking for another great daily facial cleanser, I recommend this Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser.

3. MOISTURIZE

The next step in your nightly beauty routine should be to moisturize! Moisturizer helps your skin feel hydrated and refreshed. I really like Neutrogena’s Hydro boost Facial Moisturizer because it feels super light in your skin but is also very moisturizing at the same time.

4. CLEAN YOUR TEETH AND GUMS

Don’t forget the oral hygiene! Brushing before bed helps get rid of all the gross plaque and germs that have accumulated during the day. I brush my teeth every night with Crest 3D White Toothpaste. I honestly don’t floss often enough, but when I do remember to floss I use Glide Oral-B.

            Nightly Reading Ideas

Reading is one of my favorite parts of my night time routine because it’s the only time I get to catch up on some of my favorite books. Reading also allows your eyes a break from your phone or computer screen. Instead of reaching for the TV remote during your night time routine, try grabbing a book or something else to read

1. READ YOUR FAVORITE BOOK

Make some time at night to catch up on your favorite books. Try not to choose too much of a page-turner though, so you’re not up all night with the “just one more chapter” mentality (speaking from experience). Below are some of my favorite books you should check out!

2. DAILY DEVOTIONAL OR BIBLE VERSE

If you’re not interested in reading a novel, try a daily devotional book or read a daily Bible verse. You can get the Bible App on your phone which will give you a new Bible verse of the day or you can get a daily devotional book. I’ve enjoyed reading the Jesus Calling devotional books before I go to bed at night.

3. SLEEP AFFIRMATIONS

You’ve probably heard of positive affirmations that you say to yourself (sometimes in front of the mirror) to help change your thoughts and allow you to have a more positive outlook. Did you know their are also sleep affirmations that can help you fall asleep and get a better nights rest? Check out these 30 positive sleep affirmations to help you remove negative thoughts and get into a more relaxed headspace before falling asleep.

       Mindfulness Activities For Night

1. QUICK MEDITATION

Meditation is a great relaxation technique that can help put your body in a calm state so it is easier to fall asleep at night. You don’t have to meditate for a long time to see the benefits. A quick 10-minute meditation session before bed should help promote an overall calmness and allow you to fall asleep easier.

2. YOGA

Yoga is also a great self care activity you can add to your self care evening routine. People don’t usually picture yoga as a nighttime activity, but yoga before bed can help you sleep better. You don’t need a class to practice yoga, check out the awesome Youtube video of a 10-minute yoga session for before bed.

  More Relaxing Night Routine Ideas

1. TAKE A BUBBLE BATH

A bath is the classic night time self care activity. I mean what’s not to love about laying in warm water surrounded by fluffy, great-smelling bubbles? Try out this awesome foaming bath with epsom salt to add to your nightly bath.

2. SIP WARM TEA

Warm tea before bed helps soothe and relax your whole body. When I want I want to unwind after a long day, I love drinking Sleepy Time Tea. It tastes amazing and helps me relax and get a good nights sleep.

3. PREP FOR TOMORROW

Sometimes it helps people relax if they prep for the next day. This could include writing a to-do list for the next day or laying out the clothes you want to wear. Adding a little preparation time during your nightly routine, can help you have less anxiety and save time during your morning routine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 Foods That Make You Taller: To Increase Your Height Naturally

Prediabetes Diet: Foods To Eat And How They Can Help

What Are the Effects of Climate Change?